Ian Speers, B.A., LL.B.
Ian is a candidate in the 2019 Law Society of Ontario Bencher election. For the campaign Web site, please visit www.ianforbencher.com.
Ian Speers carries on a legal practice located in south Etobicoke in Toronto's west end, with a primary focus on real estate matters.
A graduate of Queen's law school, Ian also holds a bachelor's degree from the University of Toronto in ancient and mediaeval history. He grew up in Etobicoke.
Ian is in his eighth consecutive term sitting on Ontario Bar Association's Real Property Section Executive, serving as Past Chair, after two terms (2016-17, 2017-18) as Chair of the Executive, and is a member of the Board of the Toronto Lawyers Association. He has both chaired programmes and delivered papers at continuing education sessions presented by the Law Society of Upper Canada and the Ontario Bar Association. Ian has taught real estate law since 2016 as sessional faculty at Queen's University, Faculty of Law, and in Fall 2018 also became sessional faculty at Osgoode Hall Law School at York University. He has taught real estate law in the law clerk programme at The Business School, Humber College. Ian has also volunteered extensively at Law Help Ontario, a civil court duty counsel project operated by Pro Bono Law Ontario, assisting self-represented parties in litigation.
Prior to practising law, Ian worked for more than a decade in Canadian interuniversity sport media relations. He is a past Sports Information Director of the University of Toronto Varsity Blues, and during his time in law school also served as the media coordinator for the Queen's Golden Gaels football team. Having significant historical knowledge of the development of Canadian football in the 19th century, Ian is a co-author of the book, 150 Years of Football at the University of Toronto: 1861 to 2011, in addition to a number of other articles and monographs. A keen numismatist, Ian has penned articles on the pre-Confederation token currency of Canada, and is a Fellow of the Canadian Numismatic Research Society.
Law Society of Ontario
Toronto Lawyers Association
Ontario Bar Association
Canadian Bar Association
CONTINUING EDUCATION SESSIONS CHAIRED
- Rectification Resurrected: MacIsaac v. Salo (Ontario Bar Association, March 20, 2013) - archived video
- Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Condos But Were Afraid To Ask - Ontario Bar Association, June 18, 2013
- Partnerships: Avoiding Pitfalls in Commercial & Real Estate Transactions - Ontario Bar Association, February 25, 2014
- Aboriginal Property Issues for Real Estate Lawyers - Ontario Bar Association, June 5, 2014
- The Termination of a Condominium Corporation - Ontario Bar Association, September 22, 2014
- Closing Documents: Tips and Traps (Ontario Bar Association, Institute, February 9, 2017) – Co-chair with Ray Mikkola
- Non-Resident Speculation Tax and Prescribed Information for the Purpose of Section 5.0.1 Form – What you need to know (Ontario Bar Association, May 4, 2017) – Co-chair with Maurizio Romanin
- Negotiating, Drafting and Enforcing Rights of First Refusal (Ontario Bar Association, June 14, 2017) – Co-chair with Marissa Lau
- Navigating the Changing World of Real Estate Law – Co-chair with Odysseas Papadimitriou, Ontario Bar Association, Institute, February 8, 2018
- Troubleshooting Problem Closings: A toolkit for a deal coming off the rails – Co-Chair with Emily Ng, Ontario Bar Association, May 17, 2018
- When CRA and Your Real Estate Transaction Collide – Chair and Moderator, Canadian Bar Association, November 6, 2018
- Real Estate Refresher 2018 – Co-Chair with Tannis Waugh, Law Society of Ontario, December 12, 2018
LEGAL PAPERS AND PRESENTATIONS
- "Fraudulent Conveyances: Self Defence 101" - Law Society of Upper Canada, Six-Minute Real Estate Lawyer, November 13, 2013
- "The Joint Retainer: Don't be paranoid -- be prepared!" - Ontario Bar Association, Mortgage Financing: Successful Due Diligence and Document Preparation Strategies, April 2, 2014
- "Retainer Letters: How to Cover Your Bases in Residential Conveyancing" - Law Society of Upper Canada, Six-Minute Real Estate Lawyer, November 18, 2014
- "Starting Your Own Practice: Tips & Insights from the Trenches" - Canadian Bar Association, September 16, 2015
- "When is a Real Estate Agent's Commission Payable?" - Law Society of Upper Canada, Six-Minute Real Estate Lawyer, November 24, 2015
- "Spouses and Real Estate: Need-To-Know Principles for Family and Real Estate Lawyers" - Ontario Bar Association, February 23, 2016.
- “Communication With Lenders (The forgotten clients)” – Ontario Bar Association, Scary Communication Issues for the Real Estate Practitioner, October 27, 2016
- “Deposits in Real Estate Transactions: Protecting the Purchaser” – Law Society of Upper Canada, Six-Minute Real Estate Lawyer, November 8, 2016
- “Solid Foundations for Building a Successful Real Estate Practice Real Property Law Section” – Ontario Bar Association, December 7, 2016
- “Addressing CRA Liens: A Brief Guide for the Conveyancing Solicitor” – Law Society of Upper Canada, Real Estate Summit, April 4, 2017
- “Non-Resident Speculation Tax” - Ontario Bar Association, Non-Resident Speculation Tax and Prescribed Information for the Purpose of Section 5.0.1 Form, May 4, 2017
- “Using the Working Group Forms” - Toronto Lawyers Association, How to Make your Real Estate Practice More Efficient, October 30, 2017
- “The Non-Resident Speculation Tax: Tips after seven months” – Law Society of Upper Canada, Six-Minute Real Estate Lawyer, November 21, 2017
- “Land Transfer Tax in 2017: A Busy Year in Review” - Ontario Bar Association, Institute, February 8, 2018
- “Oddball Title Issues” - Scary Professionalism Issues for the Real Estate Practitioner, Ontario Bar Association, October 31, 2018
- “They’re Back! Remedies for failure to close” - Six-Minute Real Estate Lawyer, Law Society of Ontario, November 20, 2018
- “Closings and Closing Documents” – Real Estate Refresher 2018, Law Society of Ontario, December 12, 2018
SELECT NON-LEGAL PAPERS
- "The First Game of the Toronto Argonauts: A discussion." The Coffin Corner. Vol 22, No. 4. 2000.
- "The Development of the American Scrimmage System: A discussion." The Coffin Corner. Vol 24, No. 2. 2002.
- "An Unrecorded 1832 Nova Scotia Counterfeit Penny Token." Canadian Numismatic Journal.
Vol. 60, No. 5, (July-August 2015), pp. 206-207.
- "Breton 701: Reflections on the Hart." Canadian Numismatic Journal. Vol 61, No. 1, (January-February 2016), pp. 16-19.
- "Toronto Coin Club at 80: A numismatic legacy." Canadian Numismatic Journal. Vol 61, No. 3, (April-May 2016), pp. 116-118.
- "An Unrecorded Counterfeit 1832 Nova Scotia Thistle Halfpenny." Canadian Numismatic Journal. Vol 61, No. 5, (July-August 2016), pp. 218-219.
- "The First Edition of the Charlton Catalogue." Canadian Numismatic Journal. Vol 61, No. 8, (December 2016), pp. 362-367.